Desperately Seeking Baby...Babies Found

My thoughts on raising twins and a singleton after infertility.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Door # 2 & Other Thoughts

Well, today we went to go see the clinic that offers shared risk in my area. We first spoke to the doctor who agreed with Door #1 doctor and said IVF was our next step. Considering we've tried Clomid by itself, then Clomid with IUI, then Clomid, Injectable and IUI, and none of that worked along with the fact that ovulation for me can be a bit wacky (it is now CD18 and there is no sign of ovulation) and my tubes (well, at least, my right tube) have problems.

So after discussing all that, the doctor wanted to do a physical and an ultrasound to see where things are at. I wasn't prepared for this as this was just a consult, but o.k. So everything looked good, except I have a cyst on my right side (which could explain the pain I had been having on my right side) that he said was most likely due to being on Clomid for so long. He told us that we could do an IVF cycle in September if we wanted to - believe me when I say, I am very tempted to do so. However, we are looking into how much money we want to save before we go ahead with this treatment so as to minimize the amount we will have to borrow. If we just did an IVF cycle, we could probably do one relatively soon, but we are also looking to see if we qualify for shared risk.

The doctor seems to think that we will qualify considering my age and what my hormone levels have been, but it would be best if we didn't wait too long. In order to qualify, the financial person told us we would need to have CD3 testing done (FSH, E2) (if not done within the past 6 months - which I need to check on), another uterine exam (HSG or SHG) (if not done within past 18 months - which I know it has been longer - I am SOOOOO not looking forward to doing this test again (if HSG) - that test HURT LIKE HELL), and my husband must do another sperm analysis since it has been longer than the time frame they want that in. All of this pre-cycle testing will supposedly be covered by my insurance if we go to my current RE's office to do these tests. However, if we do shared risk, we cannot have insurance pay for any ultrasounds and bloodwork once the cycle has begun since shared risk is our insurance so to speak.

The doctor told us that we would probably not need ICSI, so our cost for shared risk would be around $20,000 + the cost of the drugs which can be between $2500 and $7000. I'm hoping since the last time we chose to use the least expensive of the options given, that the cost for the drugs will be on the lower side of that range.

Well, I think that about covers it. They told us to call whenever we are ready. The first thing for us to do is to see if we qualify for shared risk and if we do, then get the money to cover the cost of the program. If you don't recall, shared risk includes 3 fresh IVF cycles and 3 FETs.

I did think it was interesting (and kinda wrong) for the clinic to have a Star magazine with the cover "Cutest Babies of this year" or something like that anyway. What's up with that?

Anyway, I did have other thoughts to share, but I think this post is getting too long so I'll save that for my next post (of which I've been working on for several days now).

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 5:36 PM , Blogger Mary Ellen and Steve said...

    You certainly have a lot on your plate. I hope that the shared risk thing works out for you. Hang in there!

     
  • At 9:51 AM , Blogger GLouise said...

    Isn't it crazy how everything adds up?

    Glad you have "one down, one to go."

     
  • At 12:27 PM , Blogger x said...

    I am glad to hear that things look good for shared risk. I had an u/s at my first consult too, it really surprised me.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home