Desperately Seeking Baby...Babies Found

My thoughts on raising twins and a singleton after infertility.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Behind Door #1

Today was the first RE appointment of the 3 that I have scheduled in the next few weeks. We're going around to each of the clinics that I know of to compare to see who we should go with if we are to move onto IVF.

Today was the appointment with my current RE. She told us it was time to move onto IVF. With my right fallopian tube "blocked", she thinks there could be something wrong with the left and with IVF, they can bypass the fallopian tubes. She thinks because I'm "young" and because we've trying for so long on our own and with IUIs, the best next step would be IVF. I can't say I'm entirely surprised. I guess a part of me was thinking she might say another IUI with injectables would be o.k., but she didn't say that. She basically told us that another IUI would be a waste of our time and money.

So for now, it looks like we are moving onto IVF. I'm sure the other two REs will say the same thing, but I suppose I never know. The next appointment is on Tuesday morning at 8 a.m.

After the appointment, my husband and I went to a nearby school so he could run around the track. I walked while he ran. On our way to the track, we were discussing when we might be ready to do an IVF cycle and of course, I would love to do it NOW if that were possible. I know it's not, but I want to. I have a friend who can't understand why people would go into debt to have a baby now when they can save up money and do it when they have the money. Of course, I would love to have the money and not go into debt, but if I wait too much longer, I won't qualify for shared risk (assuming that I do now - we'll see on Tuesday when we go to the clinic that offers that) anymore. There is an age limit. My hormones levels have to be where they want them to be, and if I wait, as I get older, those hormones could change for the worse. Right now, they are right where they need to be. It would seem I'm trying to talk myself into adding more debt onto what I already have, and we are going to wait a little while longer before we start the first IVF cycle, but I can't wait too long - both physically and emotionally. I've waited so long - it's been a little over 4 1/2 years since we started trying. I just want this rollercoaster to be over, and I wish more people understood that. I don't want to do this anymore, but I don't want it to be over if I don't have my baby in my arms.

Well, there's more I want to say on that, but I think I should stop here.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • At 8:41 AM , Blogger Alli and Frankie said...

    Wow - it's great that you are seeking these different opinions. It will be interesting to see what the others say!

    That makes sense about bypassing the tubes altogether. Plus, I like that RE's thinking about moving on. That's how I feel sometimes. Let's get out the big guns! LOL.

     
  • At 11:07 AM , Blogger x said...

    You are smart to see a few different doctors, it's great to have options. Other than wanting to get into shared risk, how do you feel about doing IVF? Just ready to move on?

     
  • At 12:07 PM , Blogger GLouise said...

    Very very smart to check out all three clinics and see what kind of "vibe" you get, even if they all have the same advice ;-)

    Glad you have one down, just two more to go!

     
  • At 4:55 PM , Blogger noela said...

    I completely understand what you are saying about not wanting to wait to start your next course of action, even if that means causing debt. I am also anxious to get off this rollercoaster, even my husband is, and we are tired of paying for trips to Seattle and these FET's!! But, as it is likely my ONLY shot of getting pregnant, I guess we will keep forking out the money and time to do these FET's until I either get pregnant again (and stay pregnant this time), or until we run out of embryos. Running out of embryos freaks the hell out of me, as I really don't know where we'd find the money for a fresh cycle. If that ever came to be, I think we would have to wait and pay off some of the debt before starting "fresh". I pray and hope everyday that it doesn't come to that, because I really feel that I need a break here!!!

    You need a break as well! And I hope you can start your first (and hopefully only) IVF cycle sooner, rather than later. You are wise to start IVF while you are younger, even if it means you can't save all the money in advance.

    Good luck with the IVF process, I really hope it goes well for you, and you know we are all pulling for you!!

    All the best,
    'Nilla @ Vanilladreams

     
  • At 9:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Well? I already told you that I feel weird commenting on some of your blogs here, because I truly cannot relate and I feel I should just stick my foot in my mouth and hold my tongue. But i just have to say this and I hope it comes out right.... when you have your baby in your arms and you look at her/him, the greatest amount of debt means nothing, because you have this baby that is yours. I guess what I am trying to say is live for now and worry about the debt later. And hopefully a very ignorant relative (g-ma) will open her eyes and help you out. If not I know others will!!! I hope you don't hate me for this comment and that it came out right. I wish I could do more for you, I just don't know what? *hugs* love ya!!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home