Desperately Seeking Baby...Babies Found

My thoughts on raising twins and a singleton after infertility.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Insurance Coverage of Infertility Treatments

I was just reading this blog entry on insurance coverage of infertility treatments. It does anger me a bit to read about such things. If insurance covered this, the whole thing would cost so much less money. It's frustrating. If clinics are willing to take so little, why can't they just charge that low amount instead of making us "bend over" as the blog author says.

And I'm sure it's like this for so many different types of other things that aren't covered by insurance or for those who don't have insurance at all to cover even the routine check-ups. Just crazy.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 10:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    My clinic DID have discounted rates for self-pay, though not hugely discounted.

    But my insurance paid out significantly more than in the illustrated example in that article - they did get nitpicky about different blood tests and such, but most procedures they paid a pretty significant percentage of (after my coinsurance was paid, that is... I still paid a significant amount of money myself).

    I remember comparing my EOBs to my self-pay cycles (I didn't have coverage for a couple of my cycles) and figuring out that my fertility clinic made slightly more money on my insured cycles than on my self-pay cycles.

     
  • At 11:11 AM , Blogger seattlegal said...

    Huh. Thanks Karen for your comment. That's interesting that it can go both ways.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home