Desperately Seeking Baby...Babies Found

My thoughts on raising twins and a singleton after infertility.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Questions & Answers & Cute Stories

To answer Faith's question, I think the first finger food we gave them were the Gerber puffs and then later, the Zwieback toast. We actually just gave them those mesh bags the other day for the first time. I had completely forgotten about them. We put a huge piece of watermelon in there, and they were like "what in the world? Can we just have the watermelon by itself?". I do like those though and will probably use them in the future for other things.

I have a question for those with older babies - how did you transition to using no bottles at all? When did you stop giving them formula? Did you transition to milk and only sippy cups all at the same time? Our 1 year checkup isn't until July 1, so I'll be giving them formula until then when I hope the doctor will say - yep, you can start giving them milk now.

What type of foods do you give your 1 year old? Ella still only has 2 teeth and Benjamin still doesn't have any.

And now onto cute stories:

Ella has started to point to things and talk about whatever she's pointing at (at least, I'm assuming that's what she's doing - I don't quite understand all of her words right now). She has become quite the talker lately. The words I do understand is "keh" for kitty, "ma" for mom, "dada", "uh oh". And, of course, I can't think of the others right now. She's really cute though with her talking. The cutest thing the other day was when I dropped something and she said "uh oh ma". :-D

Benjamin, ever since I can remember, has been a little singer. He will sing when he is getting his diaper changed or about a toy.

Lately, both of them have become fascinated with our ceiling fan in the dining area. We turned it on for the first time since last summer the other day, and it is just so interesting. If you need Benjamin to hang out while you go fix a bottle or feed the kitties, just sit him down underneath the fan and let him stare. Ella pointed at it the other day and we think she was telling us about the fan (which wasn't on at the time).

The other day, Ella said something to Benjamin and started to crawl away and he went crawling after her. I just can't even describe how cute it was to see both of them crawling together down the hallway. Just cute!

Ella has stood on her own a few times, but hasn't tried walking since last Saturday. Benjamin has gotten a lot better at pulling himself up, but hasn't quite mastered it. Once he does get himself up, he does a great job of cruising around the furniture. I thought for sure he was going to go from one end of the livingroom to the other using one couch, to the coffee table to the other couch, but he stopped midway through the coffee table.

I've been reading a book called Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner (a sequel to Good in Bed), and after watching Dan in Real Life and reading this book, I have to say I'm not looking forward to the teenage years.

That's about it for now.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

  • At 5:55 PM , Blogger Kerry Lynn said...

    About a month before their first birthday I started doing half milk and half formula. Neither had any issues with it so within two weeks they were on full milk. It was a couple weeks early but I just couldn't bring myself to buy ONE more can of powder. The doc was totally fine with that.
    At this point they still have one bottle of milk before bed. If it were up to me I would have stopped it long ago because they just don't need it but Chris is the one that is home with them at night and he likes that time with them. I know we could just stop it at any point though.

    As for food. Jackson just cut his first three teeth three weeks ago but he's been eating the same food as Madison who has had 8 teeth for a good 5 months now. They both eat kashi heart to heart cereal and puffins cereal (no bad stuff in those like cheerios have). The no teeth doesn't stop him at all!

    They love string cheese, kashi frozen waffles, frozen peas, any frozen fruit, zuchini pancakes (frozen section) were a big hit in the beginning but not so much anymore, raisins, chicken, grilled cheese, eggs, toast, plain whole milk yogurt, apple sauce.

    They actually LOVE to eat the peas and fruit while it's still frozen. They totally gobble it up. I'm sure it feels good on their gums.

    Every meal is trial and error since they like something one day then the next won't even put it near their mouth. I still give them jarred baby food (sweet potatoes) so that I know they're getting some good veggies.

     
  • At 8:28 PM , Blogger Alli and Frankie said...

    Ugh - Rose won't take a bottle at ALL. I don't know what I am going to do. With Big and Little, I transitioned them to milk first (in the bottle - by mixing milk w/formula and slowly decreasing the amt. of formula which I know must have been gross for them but worked) and then switched to the cup. They had both taken the cup for sips w/meals already so it wasn't a big deal.

    LOVE the story about them crawling together! We need pix. of that!

     
  • At 10:01 AM , Blogger KeDaCoMo said...

    To Kerry Lynn... What bad stuff is in Cherrios? I am just curious b/c I haven't heard anything bad about them.

    To heather... I did the same thing that Kerry Lynn did. I eased them into milk by mixing it with the formula. As for giving them watermelon with out the mesh bags, I guess as long as there aren't any seeds in them. Watermelon doesn't really have and huge chunks. Maybe show them how to use the mesh bag and then they might get it?

     
  • At 10:08 AM , Blogger seattlegal said...

    I think they gave me that look with the mesh bags b/c they had been given watermelon before without the mesh bags.

    They understood how to use the mesh bags, but I think they would have rather just had the watermelon by itself

     
  • At 10:42 AM , Blogger Caba said...

    Let's see ... for transitioning to milk, we started with whole milk about a week before their first birthday (per the pedi at their 9 month appt). We did half and half (formula/milk) and then on their first birthday switched to milk only. We always warmed their bottles, so when we were doing bottles full of milk, we still warmed them. About a month after their first birthday, we started getting rid of bottles.

    We dropped the morning bottle first, because they never drank it anyway. We replaced it with a sippy of milk with breakfast. They also get a sippy of milk at lunch, and then we gave the bottle with milk right before bed. Finally about 3 weeks ago we got rid of that bottle and just do a sippy of milk before bed. Our pedi said as long as they are drinking 8oz of milk a day, that's enough. Check with your own doc though.

    As far as food goes, we are totally off baby food now. Thank goodness! They eat yogurt every morning, plus either a waffle, organic breakfast bar, pancakes, oatmeal, fruit (one of these things, not all!!)

    2 snacks and lunch are at daycare.

    Then dinner my kids LOVE boca veggie burgers. It's almost the only way I can get them to eat veggies. They loved all veggie baby food, but won't eat any of them in their real form. So we go through tons of veggie burgers in our house ... raviolis are also a HUGE hit.

    Mine do have a lot of teeth, but you'd be surprised at home much they can gum! They eat chicken nuggets, mac and cheese, any type of pasta, fish sticks, meatballs, meatloaf ... that's all I can think of right now. Just try a bunch of stuff and see how they do!

     
  • At 10:43 AM , Blogger Caba said...

    Oh, one other thing, a website I LOVE! http://www.twinstuff.com

    They have forums by age group ... and so many people post and ask questions ... It's just an amazing source of info for twin moms. And an amazing community of women. Check it out!

     
  • At 5:51 PM , Blogger Kerry Lynn said...

    I was bored so I decided to come back and read what other people had to say on this topic to find that someone asked me a question! :-)
    I'm horrible at explaining things so I found this to share...

    "Well....after certain people here gave Cheerios the thumb's-up for acceptable nutrition I decided to read the label on a box I have here (my wife has 'em every day for brekky....I eat oatmeal) to see what's in it....

    By list of ingredients from first to last:-

    Whole Grain Oats
    Modified Corn Starch :eek:
    Sugar :eek:
    Salt :whistle:
    Trisodium Phosphate :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Calcium carbonate....have no idea what this is
    Monoglycerides.............ditto
    Annatto....so that's where my brother's Italian girlfriend ended up when she mysteriously disappeared
    Tocepherols..:tucool:
    Wheat starch...:eek:

    Along with fortified vitamins.

    TRISODIUM PHOSPHATE! fer cryin' out loud!!!:lol: I use this stuff to clean the outside masonry and the porch..I have a carton of it in the basement....It's been an industrial strength cleaner available for years.

    MODIFIED CORN STARCH..#2 on the list. We used to use this stuff to powder the inside of our diving wet suits so they would go on easier.
    BUT....a lot of people couldn't use it because it gave them Hives. Starches are fast-burning Carbs...sure you want this Carb for breakfast?????

    Didn't know Trisodium Phosphate was edible..If it is you'll have the cleanest sphincter on the block.:moon:"

    I think for me one of the issues is sugar. I prefer puffins. the ingredients are Yellow Corn Flour, Corn Bran Flour, Molasses (Unsulfured), Oat Flour, Expeller Pressed High Oleic Oil (Canola and/or Sunflower), Salt, Baking Soda, Vitamin E (Natural), Vitamin C
    and they are delicious!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home