Desperately Seeking Baby...Babies Found

My thoughts on raising twins and a singleton after infertility.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Pregnancy after Infertility & Update

Something I’ve been thinking about since yesterday’s anonymous comment and something my sister mentioned in her blog is whether one who goes through infertility gives up the chance to complain about something – anything regarding their pregnancy, even if you are only complaining about your insurance coverage of massage therapy. If we had been trying for nearly 5 years, does that mean that once I do become pregnant, I will have the most perfect pregnancy ever? Only those who had no problems conceiving can complain about their pregnancy? The last thing I want to do is hurt someone by complaining about something happening with this pregnancy, but I do want to write down what’s going on because I doubt I will ever experience pregnancy again and well, this blog is my journal.

Please know that I am incredibly happy that I am pregnant and with twins too and a boy and a girl! I am excited that it worked out this way because I know we wouldn’t be able to afford to do IVF again. However, just like any pregnant woman, I do have back pain (I even had back pain before pregnancy which is why I went to a chiropractor, an acupuncturist and to a spa for a massage); I do have swelling; I do have many of the other things that pregnant women experience. This blog is here for me to document what is happening to my body as we went through infertility and now, as we go through a pregnancy. Am I not supposed to be honest with what’s going on with my pregnancy just because I experienced infertility? It would seem to me something I should be allowed to do – especially since it’s my blog.

Also, I just want to point out that I rarely ever complain about this pregnancy. My back is usually the only thing that bothers me as it always has. My friends can probably tell you that when I see them, I don’t typically complain about it. I’m excited to show off the latest ultrasound picture or to talk about the latest kick or flutter I’ve felt (which I am starting to feel on a more regular basis, I think – so yay!!!!). I am grateful that I finally got pregnant. I do the happy, I’m pregnant dance all the time even when my back is killing me. I can’t believe my luck that IVF worked the first time. Of course, I rather it would have happened naturally, but unfortunately, that wasn’t in the cards for us. I’ve come to terms with that even if time to time I’m jealous of women who got pregnant with no medical help whatsoever and never had to experience the heartbreak of infertility.

Anyway, that’s all I’m going to say about that.

In other news, I’ve been doing a bit more things on my list of things to do including cleaning out my closet and getting rid of clothes I haven’t worn in possibly 2 years so my husband can move his stuff out of the closet in the babies’ room to our room. When I get back to my regular size, I probably won’t have any clothes to wear! That was tiring, but there is a lot more room in that closet now and I might just now get around to dry cleaning and packaging my wedding dress – it only took me 8 ½ years!

Next up, is to clean up the closet in the babies’ room and start putting away the clothes we got for them. I’m still looking for a dresser – I’m hoping I might be able to find something at the multiples group sales next weekend.

This weekend, my husband and I are going to purchase one more crib and the two car seats with the coupon we have for the big baby store chain so hopefully sometime soon, we can put the cribs together and start making the nursery look more like a nursery rather than a dumping ground for all the gifts we have received so far (mainly hand me down clothes) and the diapers we bought at Cos*tco when there was a coupon for that.

Hopefully, the 4 inches of snow we got last night/early this morning has melted so we won’t have to deal with that this weekend. I have a class I have to go to tomorrow and Saturday to keep up with the state bar requirements and it’s up north where they got even more snow so come on sun – melt that snow – at least on the roads.

Well, that’s a long enough post for now. Have a good weekend – I probably won’t be posting again until Monday unless something super exciting comes up before then. :-D

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

  • At 2:36 PM , Blogger Shop Girl said...

    Hi Heather,
    I heard about you through the Life is Beautiful blog. Although we got pregnant via different methods, it seems like our stories are pretty similar. I will be 33 in May, and am 14 weeks pregnant (just a little bit behind you!)

    I've also felt a bit guilty about sharing too much about my PG news amidst this blogland of IF. However, I agree with you that we should write about what is on our minds. I hope you continue to do so, and will be catching up on your story over the coming weeks.

    Continued good luck on your pregnancy - and how awesome that you got PG on the first try and got twins! Yeah!

     
  • At 2:51 PM , Blogger OHN said...

    It is so hard to go through the whole infertility crap and not be able to moan once in awhile. We adopted our oldest son and when I was suffering from severe sleep deprivation with a baby that thought nightime meant COME GET ME OR I WILL SCREAM MY LITTLE LUNGS OUT...I didn't dare let on to anyone how exhausted I was, because all they had heard was 8 years of me crying that I wanted to be a mom. Same thing with my pregnancies. I got the vibe from folks that "hey, you asked for it" so I was very shy about sharing that I NEED HELP :) The whole infertility thing just plain sucks even once the baby arrives but it is ALL worth it!

     
  • At 3:28 PM , Blogger KeDaCoMo said...

    I am glad that you decided to post that! And I hope that anon. B**ch comes and reads it too. Feels good to get that off your chest doesn't it?

    Hey with all those clothes you plan to get rid off, will anything fit me? I would love to have the clothes you don't want anymore and after the babies, if you want them back I can give them back! ;P

    We all know you are happy to be pregers and those who have "really" read your blog know that you are too. you have been through alot to get here and just because you had "help" does not mean that you revolke your rights as a human being. Well you know how I feel about that so I won't comment anymore. Some people!

    Our snow has melted and we got about 4 inches too in all. hopefully it will do the same for you. have fun at your class tomorrow! I am sure it will be hard to contain the excitement. ;)

     
  • At 4:27 PM , Blogger Nickie said...

    Bitch away girlfriend, it's your blog and your pregnancy. No matter how badly you wanted to get here, there are aspects that are no fun. Document the hell out of it because you WILL forget the details no matter how much you think they are burned into your brain now.

    Melt snow, melt!!! I'm so over this crap.

     
  • At 6:50 PM , Blogger Dr. Grumbles said...

    Last I heard, pregnancy is a rough time. I think you have every right to complain every now and then. We know (or at least I know) that you appreciate what you have.

     
  • At 6:26 AM , Blogger Shannon said...

    Complain all you want to! It's the right of every pregnant woman (especially pregnant-with-twins woman) regardless of how they got that way! :)

    I feel the same way when I am bitch, complain and vent about my twins being in the NICU. A big part of me feels like I should just be happy and grateful they are alive and healthy, and that I don't have the right to express my frustration about the NICU situation. Then I am reminded of the fact that this is my blog and I can cry if I want to.

    You are doing great! A twin pregnancy is tough, and you should vent all you want to. The whole experience goes by so quickly that in a few short months you will need to re-read your own blog to remember all of these emotions, fears and ailments in your own pregnancy...or at least I have to.

     
  • At 7:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi. I'm currently 31 weeks pregnant with B/G twins through IVF. And here's my take. Ya know what? We have MORE right to complain! haha ... We aren't the lucky ones that got pregnant by having a fun night of sex with our husbands/partners. We had to deal with doctors, and shots and pain and depression, and call us crazy for wanting some part of this whole process to be easy! I complained my whole way through my morning sickness, my back pain, my stomach pain, all my many issues ... Did I complain because I was pregnant? Of course not ... I complained cause I didn't feel good and I thought I deserved an easy road somewhere in this process. Well, maybe that's not how it works, but don't you DARE let anyone make you feel bad for being honest about how you feel. Pregnant is pregnant is pregnant no matter how you get there ... and being appreciative of that fact has nothing to do with bitching about a sore back.

    Good luck!

     
  • At 2:01 PM , Blogger Pamela T. said...

    You are fully entitled to discuss the bad and the good. I'm someone who won't ever experience pregnancy (sadly) even after having been through all sorts of IF treatments. Regardless, I think women who conceive after running the IF gauntlet are entitled to share whatever comes to mind...check out my thoughts here: www.coming2terms.com. All the best...

     
  • At 3:31 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

    it's your pregnancy and blog you can 'complain' about whatever you want to. anything you decide to say is just what you are feeling at the time no one can tell you not to feel that way. Unless they are incredibly and insensitivly just sharing what is on thier mind and in that case just delete that comment away if it offends you.
    heck as a fertile preganancy was not easy for me and I did not ask for it!
    It's never not a journey babe, happy trails!

     
  • At 5:11 PM , Blogger ak1908 said...

    Three words: mean people suck!!!

    Some people just have nothing better to do than hurt others in their free time. I am IF, I am not pregnant AND I've had a miscarriage and I understand and respect that this is your personal blog.

    No one, except you, has the right to decide what goes on this blog. I don't think that you should refrain from posting the wonderful happenings of your pregnancy. Nor should you think that you can't complain. Pregnancy is pregnancy and although we IFers get there in a different way, it doesn't mean that we/you do not have the right to be open and honest about our/your feelings.

    Keep posting what you want. There are MANY of us who enjoy following your pregancy. It will also be a nice keepsake if you ever wanted to share it with the twins. They will then know just how many internet aunties they have:) LOL!

     
  • At 5:22 PM , Blogger kellg said...

    I can't believe someone was so rude and inconsiderate toward you. Those of us who went through extensive treatment shouldn't be banned from complaining just because we wanted so hard to get pregnant! I've received some similar comments (although not so severe), and had to set some people straight. So thanks for sharing your story and reassuring the rest of us!

     
  • At 8:44 AM , Blogger Kristen said...

    Ya know, I have taken that stance (which I have heard from other infertiles) that we wanted to become mothers, NOT BE PREGNANT! It is not like we spent years of our time, thousands of our dollars and millions of our tears just so we could be happy pregnant women. We went through that crap so that we could have children. We have every right to bitch when we hurt and cry when we feel sick. Own that right, you deserve it!!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home