Desperately Seeking Baby...Babies Found

My thoughts on raising twins and a singleton after infertility.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

All I Want is a Massage! (Updated)

I found out that my insurance will only provide a discount for getting a massage if I got the massage from a massage therapist, but will cover it, if I go to a chiropractor, MD, or a physical therapist - that doesn’t make sense to me, but o.k. So I called a PT place nearby my house – they don’t offer massages just exercises that will help alleviate back pain during pregnancy. Well, I really want a massage. So I e-mailed a few chiropractors in the area that my insurance company lists as providers as I know from my prior time with a chiropractor, there is a massage therapist there and the whole thing can be billed under the chiropractor and be covered by insurance. There is one nearby my house that has extra education in prenatal care and treats pregnant women. I’m still nervous about going though. A lot of sites say that chiropractic care during pregnancy is safe and may even help during labor. I called my OB and left a message to see what her opinion is. Has anyone seen a chiropractor during pregnancy?

Maybe I should just go to a massage therapist and get the discount and pay whatever cost will be mine. I’ve contacted a couple and there is one nearby my house. UGH, I just want a massage! Why does it have to be so difficult?!?

Update: The OB (or rather, the OB's nurse) said that they don't recommend chiropractic care for the low back, but neck is o.k. and well, I need something for my back. When I told her about what my insurance said, she gave me two places to go for physical therapy. She said if there is problem with my prescription (as it is for massage therapy, not physical therapy), then they can get me a new one. I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and go to a massage therapist and get whatever discount I would get, and pay the rest ouf of pocket since what I want is a massage not a PT showing me exercises to help with my back. Any opinions out there? I can't seem to make a decision on what to do.

Labels:

11 Comments:

  • At 1:58 PM , Blogger Kristen said...

    I get my massages at a local salon/spa. It costs about $55 for an hour which is pricey but so worth it. My person is a trained massage therapist. Might want to call around and see if you can find a place that does pregnancy massages.

     
  • At 6:06 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I'd do both. I'd get the massage as well as the back exercises from a PT. Given that you are only half-way there, the exercises could really help strengthen without too much trouble.

     
  • At 1:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi! :) I came across your blog from another blog somewhere! I'm also expecting twins, we are pretty close in our due dates! Anyway, just wanted to say hi :) Hope you're pregnancy is going well so far!

     
  • At 6:53 AM , Blogger Jessica said...

    During my pregnancy last year, I saw my chiropractor twice a week every week. Throughout that time, they never said anything about not recommending adjusting my lower back, although, I was hesitant at first. But they were very gentle with me, and of course, didn't do the "normal" lower back adjustments like I had been having done before my pregnancy. They have alternative ways of adjusting you there. Instead of twisting me to pop my lower back, they brought my knee up to my chest (as much as they could with my big belly!), and that would always do the trick! Your body during pregnancy is more apt to adjust better than when you're not, being that your joints are looser. Don't be afraid to have this done....that's the area where you need adjusted the most. Just make them aware that you're hesitant about it, and I'm sure they'll be more careful with you....hope that helps!

     
  • At 12:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 2:43 PM , Blogger KeDaCoMo said...

    Well I was first going to say that you should still go to the PT b/c they also will give you a massage and teach you excercises that you can do on your own to relieve your back pain, but then I saw that last comment. I am sorry, but for some one to just randomly came to your blog who claims that they have "better things to do", well it just seems like they don't b/c if they did, they wouldn't be going around reading strangers blogs, right? But anyway, she has said in previous posts that she hates to complain and she isn't really complaining about not getting a massage, but more about her insurance and paying for it. And also it is a proven fact that if the mother is in discomfort then the babies feel that discomfort too, so in a way her getting a massage is helping her babies relax and also contributing to the prevention of preterm births. and lastly, whatever issues you may have for not being pregnant or whatever your story is, please go drop them on someone who cares!!!

     
  • At 2:46 PM , Blogger Watson said...

    OH MY GOD.

    I just read that previous comment and I cannot believe the nerve of that horrible, hideous person.

    To that person:

    If you have so much to say, such a strong opinion to share, why would you post anonymously you petty, small-minded, mean-spirited jerk???

    Just MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS.

    Heather, please ignore that idiot's ramblings.

    You deserve to feel whatever you want to, and to share these feelings on YOUR blog. You were asking for advice, not complaining, and that's why these blogs can be such a wonderful resource for info and support (minus the evil trolls, that is.)

    My assvice (and keep in mind I'm not pregnant) is to call around and find a chiropractor who adjusts pregnant women. If they know what they're doing, it can really help.

    And by and large, the medical community is not always accepting of alternative/complimentary medicine, so it's not surprising your dr. would say no. But do some research and see if you feel comfortable with it, it might help!

    Take care...

     
  • At 3:21 PM , Blogger Nickie said...

    I saw a chiropractor at least weekly with my son's pg, would not have made it thru if I hadn't. I see a different one now and go as needed. My back is in much better shape b/c of this new guy so I don't need to go as often.

    You have to do what's right for you, but I swear by my chiropractor.

     
  • At 3:25 PM , Blogger Nickie said...

    Oh, and to anonymous who posted the least helpful or useful words
    possible. Go away! NOW!

    This is not your blog, it's NOT ABOUT YOU or your opinions. This is Heather's blog and she if fully entitled to her own personal opinions and is allowed to post them on her own blog. If reading about someone else's life annoys you so, stop reading. Very simple.

    Go crawl back under the rock from whence you came. You are not welcome here.

     
  • At 3:41 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

    you may like to do both. keep all your options open.
    I can't recall if I had chiro during prenancy I probably did...but I deffinately had it after :)
    (so sad to have missed the offending comment)
    find a chiro with the pro adjuster machine if possible. I LOVE that machine.
    also there is a wonderful prenatal yoga dvd that i found helpful for lower back pain and sciatica. Might be some of the same exercises that the pt will give you.

     
  • At 11:36 PM , Blogger Leslie Wilson Corsbie said...

    You go girl! You can tell us your feelings anytime you want. OK? Don't you dare waste another moment thinking about negative comments.
    People will have so much advice about pregnancy and parenting. Random people at the grocery store will start asking you if you're going to breastfeed. It's the strangest thing EVER.
    I love that you're talking with people and researching stuff. You'll make the best decision for you and your baby ALWAYS!
    For what it's worth I also saw a Chiro and masseuse during and after. I also swear by Yoga for pregnancy. It was the best darn preparing for childbirth.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home