Desperately Seeking Baby...Babies Found

My thoughts on raising twins and a singleton after infertility.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, October 23, 2006

Retrieval

At the wee hours of the morning, we headed out to the fertility clinic for the retrieval. We arrived at the clinic, and we couldn't get in the building. We tried two different doors and the phone, but to no avail until we came across someone else trying to get in who happened to be the anesthesiologist. The nurse that eventually let us in was apparently out of hearing distance of the phone when we tried earlier.

So we get up to the clinic and get prepared. I had my cute soft little slipper socks ready to keep my feet warm. They also had blanket warmers, so I had a nice warm blanket too. Getting the IV in wasn't nearly as bad as it has been in the past for me. The part that hurt the most was when the nurse was flicking my veins before putting the IV in.

They walk me over to the OR and I wave goodbye to my husband. The anesthesiologist put the anesthesia in the IV, put an oxygen mask on, and put a heart-rate thingy on my finger. The next thing I know we are in the same curtained off area we started in. I'm always curious how they move people. The bed in the OR had a little hole near the bum area, so it wasn't the same bed.

Anyway, apparently when my husband came in, I said stuff to him, though I don't remember it at all. He told me I asked the same questions at least a couple times - though I don't know if I remember either time. And speaking of other things I don't remember, the doctor came in and told us that he was able to retrieve 10 eggs!!! Why do they tell you important information like that when you are still under the influence of drugs? The only reason I know this is because my husband was there. Although I did answer the doctor and say "that's good". Nope, don't remember that either. What's funny is that I just watched an episode of Grey's Anatomy where Meredith is under the influence of pain killers and doesn't remember any of her conversations either. It's so weird to think you can have these conversations with people, who think you're fully conscious, but you're not.

So the embryologist (who we met for the first time this morning) is going to call tomorrow with a report on how many of the eggs fertilized. I thought that we would be setting up a tentative transfer time for Thursday (if we were to do a Day 3 transfer)like the nurse said at our Sat. appointment or for Saturday (if we were to do a Day 5 transfer), but no one mentioned anything so I'll just call and talk to the nurse tomorrow.

As for how I feel. I'm o.k., but that might be the vicodin making me feel that way. I'm cramping and spotting just a little. I'm extremely tired, and I have to go to the bathroom a lot, it seems like. I'm looking forward to hearing the report tomorrow. I hope and pray we make it to a Day 5 transfer.

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • At 3:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yay! That sounds good. Hope it continues to go well!

    I've never been anesthetized, but that must be a very weird feeling.

     
  • At 3:41 PM , Blogger Sunny said...

    I am so glad it went well.

    I LOVE VIOCDIN!!!!!

    fingers crossed and everything else that could cross itself!!!

     
  • At 4:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Sooo exciting!

    Good luck with the transfer and keep us posted!!!

     
  • At 6:08 PM , Blogger Mary Ellen and Steve said...

    I am glad that your retrieval went smoothly.

    I hope that you get a great fertilization report tomorrow.

     
  • At 6:23 PM , Blogger Hopeful Mother said...

    Sounds like it went well. I was the same way - don't remember anything after they put that IV line in...

    Will be watching for fert updates tomorrow! Hope you start to feel better.

     
  • At 1:31 AM , Blogger noela said...

    Heh heh! I saw that episode of Grey's Anatomy as well! ;)

    Congrats on the retrieval! 10 eggs!! Woohoo! :)

    Hope you get a great fertilization report -- good luck!

    Nilla

     
  • At 4:44 PM , Blogger Jaimie said...

    There are few beautiful drugs that people get when they have anesthesia that make it better for the patients. One of them is called Versed. It is one of the first drugs given after the IV is in and it makes you relaxed and sleepy but it your memory is gone. You know what is happening to you at the moment (like when you change rooms or we help people over to operating tables) but you don't remember much later. It isn't actually a drug to put people to sleep, but it makes them feel a lot better. When versed is given with some other drugs, like you experienced, you may not remember hours. I wish they gave it for PAP smears!

    Congrats on the 7! That is fantastic!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home