Desperately Seeking Baby...Babies Found

My thoughts on raising twins and a singleton after infertility.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, September 25, 2006

Spending some $$$

Earlier today, I got a confusing e-mail from the nurse at my new clinic. She said that she put the order into the pharmacy for the drugs I would be needing for this IVF cycle. I hadn't told her which pharmacy to use yet, but she went and decided for me based on this particular pharmacy's cost of Gonal-F (links provided for those of my family/friends who are curious what these drugs do).

Anyway, she also e-mailed me to tell me that my doctor wants to start me on Parlodel right away - as soon as I get the drugs, I must start it. I hadn't heard of this one at all - it turns out it is to reduce the level of prolactin I produce. My previous RE had me take a drug for this too. My prolactin levels have been slightly elevated in the past.

So the order went to this particular pharmacy - neither of which were ones I was considering, but oh well. The order is coming to my work tomorrow - the order of 9 different drugs that I will be taken over the course of this whole cycle. Yes, the number of drugs does intimidate me. I am sufficiently nervous about this. One of the drugs is a suppository that I have to take 2 hours before transfer - that should be so much fun.

So after we get the order taken care of, or so I thought, I go on with my day...until I get a phone call from the pharmacy saying that my credit card declined to pay the cost of the drugs (a whopping $3200 - I'm actually a little relieved by this amount since I was informed it could go up to $7500 - though it's not like I want to spend that kind of money on things that will hurt me - but it will all be worth it in the end, right?). So I called my credit card company and fixed the issue using their annoying automated system, then call the pharmacy back and the charge went through this time. I should have known to call the credit card company first - I did mean too, but I wasn't expecting the drugs to be ordered now - and I think the only reason they were is because I need to start on Parlodel right away.

Such fun. I kinda wish tomorrow was Wednesday because I want to go to that injections teaching class and ask about the timing of the shots, but I really wish I could skip the bloodwork and the pap smear though.

It is really nice that a couple of my friends offered to give me the shots if I wanted them too, and a couple of my support group buddies have offered before too. If I have to, I'm going to try to do it on my own. My husband would like to do it though so he can feel more involved in the whole process, but we'll see what the nurse says on Wednesday.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I'll share more info after my appointment on Wednesday!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 7:25 PM , Blogger GLouise said...

    The drug cost certainly is amazing, huh? "Stunning" may be the best word to describe it, actually :-)

    I think mine totaled about 5k before insurance. Thank God for insurance!

    keep us posted!

     
  • At 1:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    OMG! that is a lot for drugs!!! but yes it WILL all be worth it in the end!!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home