Desperately Seeking Baby...Babies Found

My thoughts on raising twins and a singleton after infertility.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, September 28, 2006

A little update on some things

Regarding the decision on what to do with any embryos we may not use… for the scenario in which 5 years go by and we don’t use the embryos, we choose to give them to research…for the scenario in which both of us die, we choose to give them up for adoption. I just couldn’t decide, so I left it up to my husband to decide and this is what he came up with. I’m happy with this decision – though we may change our mind in the future. One thing that Nickie said in a comment to this post is something that my husband also said – giving the embryos to research may help a larger amount of women to get pregnant rather than allowing adoption. And I think I am leaning more toward research than adoption for that very reason. I assume that we will use any embryos that we make, but just in case we don’t, I think we will have them go to research.

To Jessie who commented on a prior post. I was completely nervous the first time I went to acupuncture (because of the needles), but also a little excited (because of the positive things I’ve heard it can do). I started going back in October 2005, but stopped around the last IUI because I wanted to save any remaining visits covered by my insurance for when we did IVF (as it turns out, my acupuncturist miscounted and I used up all my visits). So here I am again…going back to acupuncture. It’s been a while, so I hope my body will be o.k. with it again, but we’ll see. If you want to read more about my experience going for acupuncture for the first time, you can go here.

And thanks to Lara for giving me permission to ask questions about the injectables – I may take you up on that! Speaking of, I was going through my package last night and looked at the Lupron 2-week kit that I got, and there’s one tiny little vial in there. My initial thought was that this cannot be it. One little tiny vial that was 1/3 full? So I started to freak out a little bit that they hadn’t sent me all of the Lupron, but then I thought about the injections class earlier and how we barely used any of the liquid in each shot, so although, it doesn’t look like much, it will probably last. Still, I wasn’t so sure, so I e-mailed my nurse last night (still haven’t heard from her) and I called the pharmacy this morning and spoke to a pharmacist – he told me that they get this question all the time (why don’t they put a note in the box then?) and said that although it doesn’t look like much, it should be enough for 28 doses. Aaah, some relief.

A couple of you also mentioned heating pads for when the IM shots come around – the nurse yesterday also mentioned this, as did those in my support group. I will definitely be doing this – especially with those progesterone shots – I heard that they can hurt really like a . Oh, and those Gonal-F pens are so cool. I wish that they could all be so easy! I guess that’s why those pens were the most expensive drugs I got ($2200 out of the $3200 I paid) – now I know why the nurse chose the pharmacy based on the cost of these pens!

And some good news today – a "real-life" friend of mine found out her donor egg cycle worked!!! Yay!!!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At 3:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Heather,

    You sound totally prepared and ready to go with this cycle -- is it exciting to be starting the process for real?!?

    We're just at the beginning stages and it feels like ages until we'll be discussing the shot class and everything else it entails.

    I'll be checking back to hear how everything goes -- GOOD LUCK!!!!

     
  • At 3:50 PM , Blogger Hopeful Mother said...

    Re: the Lupron, we had a bottle for our "14-day kit" that we used for 28 days, so it really has a lot more in it than it might seem. Saved us around $200 since we didn't have to buy a second bottle this time!

    I wish I had a pen for my stims shots - mine are IM (but the medication is considerably cheaper so that's OK!) Since hubby does my shots, I don't worry about it too much.

    You are well on your way now!

     
  • At 7:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Heather hi!
    I love your blog! I found it on cyclesistas - I am about to do my very first IVF too = and like you hoping its gonna be one time (for what it is costing us)

    I love the decision you made with your hubby about any embies you might not use. You are right in that it will help so many. Hubby and I are in the process in making all these decisions too. Too many to make - but it helps to have it all down ahead of time. Anything to reduce extra stress during the cycle.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home