Desperately Seeking Baby...Babies Found

My thoughts on raising twins and a singleton after infertility.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Any advice?

I went to my OB appointment on Friday. All is well. We heard the baby's heartbeat and tonight, the OB's office called to let me know that the bloodwork came back negative for Down's and other genetic abnormalities.

She asked how things were going. I told her about my hip and she suggested physical therapy again, so I need to get that set up sometime.

I've scheduled our 2nd trimester ultrasound for next Tuesday morning. That is when we could find out the gender of this child if we wanted to, but we're keeping it a surprise.

So now onto my question that I'm wondering if anyone has any input on. She told us about the pros and cons of doing a VBAC or a c-section. Up until now, I've thought, I want to try a VBAC, but I'm not sure now.

The pros of a c-section is that we can plan that and make sure that we have someone here to watch the twins. With a VBAC, we would need to wait until we go into labor and I just don't think I can call someone at 3 a.m. to come watch my kids. Of course, I could always go into labor before the scheduled c-section and we would need to find someone anyway.

The cons of a c-section is that there is a longer recovery period.

The pros of a VBAC is that I'll feel like I'm doing things the way they were meant to be. There is an easier recovery period with a VBAC then there is with a c-section.

The cons of trying a VBAC is that there is a possibility of there being complications and a c-section would be needed anyway. There is a small chance that tears could happen and the c-section scar could pop (I'm sure there's a better word for it) and cause some complications with me and the baby. She said there is a 1% chance of that happening.

I need to read up on this more and figure out what to do, but if anyone has any input, let me know.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At 10:33 PM , Blogger bitterkat said...

    All I can say is I DID call a friend at 2am and Robert ran and picked her up and she watched Sid. That's what friends are for and you have lots of them!

     
  • At 6:36 PM , Blogger Kirsten said...

    That is a toughie. For me, as soon as my Ob/Gyn told me how many patients she's had that have gone almost to the end vaginally and then had to end up having a C-section anyway, I was sold on the section. I just cannot imagine having to heal in both areas at the same time...actually, I can't imagine having to heal down there at all!! But, things are different with a singleton and there is a part of me that would probably want to give it a shot just to have the experience. Yeesh, I just don't know!!

     
  • At 7:34 PM , Blogger Jaimie said...

    Rupture is what happens. It is very rare, but does happen. There are many successful vbac everyday. However, every now and again there are vaginal deliveries that don't have easier recoveries than C's. All the mothers in the NICU with me were sectioned and they all were in much better shape than I. But most deliveries go better than mine. But it is possible

     
  • At 10:36 AM , Blogger Portia P said...

    Hello my dear

    Just dropped by and saw your wonderful news!!!!

    Can't believe you're expecting no 3. Lucky girl.

    Hope all is well generally - i'll bet that two years ago - about the time we first "met", you'd never have dreamed of a day like this.

    Much love

    Portia P xx

     
  • At 12:56 PM , Blogger Nurse Lochia said...

    It's a hard choice to make, especially if you haven't delivered vaginally before. The pros, I think far outnumber the cons for VBAC, (faster, easier recovery, natural process for mom and baby, etc) but there is that tiny chance of a scary uterine rupture and plus being able to schedule delivery is nice. I see VBAC's every now and then and they do go well most of the time. I had planned on VBAC until my son was breech. But by delivery day he had turned and I went ahead and delivered by c/s anyway. It's a tough choice.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home