Desperately Seeking Baby...Babies Found

My thoughts on raising twins and a singleton after infertility.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

6 weeks!!!

Thank you to everyone for your comments to my last post. I thought I would write another one since it's been a little while. I also have new pictures to share - once I actually upload them, I'll let you know when to go to flickr to see them.

Anyway, we had Ben's circumcision today. My husband wrote a post as to why we decided to go ahead with the procedure. I didn't go into the room that they had the circumcision done, but that didn't stop me from hearing him. It just broke my heart to hear him cry knowing what they were doing. Of course, it turns out he was crying because he wanted to be held and not placed on a table, then he screamed again when the anesthetic (sp?) was used, then again when he was picked back up. Poor guy, but I do think having this procedure done was for the best. I am nervous about making sure we take proper care of it. I hope we do a good job on that.

Regarding Ella and her need to sleep with us - we've tried swaddling, but it doesn't matter to her. She will wake up a short while after being put in her bed and realize there isn't a human being holding her close. I went to a gathering yesterday at a friend's house of women who were in my multiples class at UW and they said do whatever works for you. One woman, who I e-mailed with while in the hospital - she was at UW - I was at Swedish - said that it might be best to try to ween her from that around 4 months - around the time the "4th trimester" would begin. We'll see how that goes.

It was really nice to get together with this group yesterday to hear about how everyone is doing. My babies were the youngest there, I believe - at 6 weeks today! We plan to get together every week or so - so happy about that!

Also about Ella, on Friday, she was spitting up a lot (it just seems to have gotten worse) and she tends to arch her back sometimes that I thought maybe she has acid reflux. I took her to the pediatrician and they have me changing her formula to something that is supposed to be more easily digestable. We'll see if that helps. So far, I don't think it has. If it doesn't work, the pediatrician suggested something else (a block or something) - I'm to call back on Friday to say how things are going. Has anyone used any sleep positioners you can buy at the store to elevate them? I was at Target earlier and thought about getting it for her, but I don't know if it will help or not. The pediatrician did suggest we keep her upright for at least 20-30 minutes after feeding.

And again about Ella, she breastfed the other night!!! She actually latched on and fed there. I was so happy, but I thought it might be a one time occurrence but no 3 hours or so later, both Ben and Ella were breastfeeding - at the SAME TIME! That's the first time I've succeeded with that! It hasn't happened since with Ella, but I try and I have a feeling it will happen again.

Well, there's more to write about but this post is getting long and I need to go check on Benjamin. I will try to post pictures very soon!

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 5:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hooray for tandem nursing!! i think that is wonderful!! good job heather.
    -kendra

     
  • At 8:05 PM , Blogger Heather said...

    Sorry you had to hear Benjamin cry during his procedure. We haven't had a boy yet, so not sure what we'd do on that one.

    We tried propping up the mattress in the crib for our DD when she was congested from a cold to elevate her head, but she'd end up sliding down to the bottom of the mattress a few hours later, so we put her in her crib in her infant carrier. That seemed to work. Don't know if that'll help reflux.

    Awesome news on the breastfeeding! Congratulations!

     
  • At 8:35 PM , Blogger Kerry Lynn said...

    Nothing seemed to help with Jackson's spitting up. He never arched his back though so reflux was never mentioned. he was never in any discomfort...it would just leak out his mouth. Doc said all we could do was wait it out. at 3.5 months he decided it was time to stop. He ended up gaining 3 pounds in month!
    I'd say if you are going to try the elevation thing go with the car seat or bouncy seat.
    congratulations on the BF. it's hard work...i'm a little jealous.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home