Desperately Seeking Baby...Babies Found

My thoughts on raising twins and a singleton after infertility.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, February 02, 2007

Class # 2 - Labor Prep.

So last night, I went to the 2nd class in the 5 class series (though it is really 6 since there is a preventing preterm birth class too). This class was about labor preparation. She didn't focus too much on having twins - she said she would talk more about that next time - but she did talk about it a little such as when the doctors would do a C-Section rather than a vaginal birth (of which my OB already informed me of).

She then showed us a video of women giving birth. The birth part was interesting though amazing that babies come out that way and these women did it without an epidural (of which apparently OBs would really recommend with a twin birth because of the possible complications involved - though I can't imagine doing this without an epidural even if it was just one baby in there). After the birth of the singleton baby, the mother then had to deliver the afterbirth and all I have to say is I didn't need to see that. I really didn't. And I get to do push out the afterbirth twice (assuming vaginal birth)! Yay!

Hmm, what else? After the video, she was showing us labor positions and breathing exercises of which we got to try out with our partner except I didn't have a partner - wow, did I feel awkward at that point. I did manage to find positions I could do without a partner, so it wasn't all too bad. Sitting on the ball was a fun position. A person in my van (vanpool girl) said that if I wanted her to, she would be my partner for the next class but I don't know if I need someone for the next one though I didn't think I would need anyone last night either. I was the only one there without a partner too.

Then after that, she talked a bit more about labor and delivery then had the men and women split up to write down what would things the male partner (or female) could say or do to the pregnant woman while she is in labor and things that they shouldn't say or do. The guys seemed to be having a good time with their list. After we compiled our lists, we shared with one another. Some things the guys came up with were don't ask when this will all be over because you're missing the game or what's for dinner. Tell her that she is doing well and beautiful and don't eat in front of her. We came with the last one as well as just be supportive physically and emotionally. Don't take things personally. Some other things I can't remember.

Then the last item of the night was one of the women showing us her "baby hugger" and how it worked. She said that it has made so much difference for her (she's at 28 weeks). Has anyone else used this or heard of someone who had? Did they like it? It looks silly, but it does look like it might help.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At 4:49 AM , Blogger Sunny said...

    Not sure about the baby hugger. It looks like bloomers with suspenders. HA!

     
  • At 9:27 AM , Blogger Nickie said...

    sorry you had to do the class sans partner. I took a Hypnobirthing class sans partner and ended up being the only one :eyeroll: oh well.

    Never saw the baby hugger. How do you go to the bathroom with it?? Seems like it might be uncomfortable in the summer, but then again, so is being huge pg!! LOL

     
  • At 7:49 AM , Blogger Alli and Frankie said...

    Baby hugger? Never heard of it but now I am curious! Do you have a picture?!

    I had to take a birth class (when I was pg with Big) and took my stepmom. I was the only person who knew from the get go that I wanted an epidural and the other moms were ALL saying they were going natural. At the "after" class, only 3 of them did. LMAO.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home