Desperately Seeking Baby...Babies Found

My thoughts on raising twins and a singleton after infertility.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Today's OB Appointment

Today we had our 2nd OB appointment in which we actually met our OB (last time was with the nurse practitioner). She came in and just went over the NT scan we had a while ago; whether an amnio is necessary; gave us information on whether a C-Section or an vaginal birth would be the way to go; and exactly how many times we will have ultrasounds.

I've already talked about the NT scan, so the next thing is whether to do an amnio. Since the NT scan came back normal and because I'm only 33, she would suggest now to not do one. However, she also said we could wait until after our next ultrasound at the ultrasound place before making a final decision. Even then, unless we are willing to terminate the pregnancy, then she would recommend that we not do an amnio. I'm pretty much saying no to the amnio right now - too much risk and the NT scan came back normal.

Next, a C-Section v. vaginal birth. Contrary to what I've believed and heard, she said that they would prefer a vaginal birth even with twins because it is easier on the babies. However, it will all depend on where the babies heads are. She said, of course, if the babies heads are down, vaginal birth is definitely the way to go. If the first of the babies heads is down and the other one isn't, she would still recommend a vaginal birth as they can extract the baby that isn't head down. However, if neither are head down, then a C-Section would be what is needed. Before a couple days ago, I had thought I would just go ahead and do a C-section, but after talking with some people and the OB, I'm changing my mind. I always thought I would have a vaginal delivery, so I would love for it to happen that way (with both babies heads down as the extracting part kinda freaks me out). We have a while before this decision needs to be made.

And onto ultrasounds, she said with twins, I will be having an ultrasound at the special ultrasound place once a month. The next one will be between week 18 and 20 - I'm hoping more around week 18 as my next OB appointment is in week 19 and the OB mentioned wanting to talk about it the next time I see her. She wasn't going to do an ultrasound today at the clinic, but I said we were kinda hoping for one so she did one and they were being wigglers again! Unfortunately, she wasn't able to tell what sex they are because of their wiggling around. :-( Hopefully, this next ultrasound, they will be able to tell. We also go to hear the heartbeats with their handheld machine - hearing the heartbeats was very cool. Seeing them is also very cool.

I think that about covers it for today.



  • At 2:28 PM , Blogger KeDaCoMo said...

    I dont know about the extraction part either. When I was pregers with D, he was facing up and seeing how they want the baby to be face down so they dont hit the pelvic bone or something like that, they had to go in and turn him. Even with the epideral that was an awkward feeling. Hopefully your babies are heads down and they wont have to do much for them.

  • At 4:39 PM , Anonymous another heather said...

    I will be having an ultrasound at the special ultrasound place once a month

    Do you mean Eastside Maternal Fetal/Obstetrix?

  • At 7:01 PM , Blogger Nickie said...

    If Baby A is vertex (heads down) then s/he essentially paves the way for Baby B even if s/he is breech. Hopefully they'll cooperate and you can do a vaginal delivery of both of them. I'd prefer a vaginal birth, but it doesn't look like it's going to be an option - oh well as long as baby is healthy.

  • At 7:26 AM , Blogger SaraS-P said...

    Hearing the heartbeats must be so amazing.

    Can't wait to read about the genders!

    So much excitement!

  • At 12:19 PM , Blogger UtRus said...

    me too - i have been SO convinced that it will be a C-section. what i do NOT want is one delivered vag and the other have to be emerg section! :)

  • At 12:51 PM , Blogger the waiting line said...

    Very reassuring all around - except for the talk about "extraction." Umm, what the hell is that? . . . that doesn't sound good. just my 2 cents.

  • At 5:35 PM , Blogger OHN said...

    None of my business, but---I went the C-section route for baby 2 because I had 72 hours of labor with #1 then had to have an emergency fun. At least I knew with #2 ahead of time and didn't have to labor :)

  • At 6:01 PM , Blogger ak1908 said...

    Glad to hear things are going so well!


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home