Desperately Seeking Baby...Babies Found

My thoughts on raising twins and a singleton after infertility.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

2nd opinion

Blogger is being really annoying today. I had a post all written out and lost it! UGH! Plus, I'm feeling like crap again. I was feeling better, but with all the running around I've done this past weekend and this week, I haven't had a chance to relax really. Of course, I took the vanpool into to work, and since the person who handles getting cabs for vanpool people to leave early isn't answering my voice mail!

Anyway, I went to go see the 2nd opinion doctor yesterday. And she did give me some hope! The first ray of hope she gave me is that she thinks we should try IUI again, but this time with Letrozole (Femara). I'll all about spending $500 as opposed to $15,000. She said to try that once or twice, and if that doesn't work, then move on to IVF. She did say I have a 60% chance of it working, which is about what my current RE said (she said 50% with IVF - she didn't recommend IUIs again).

The other ray of hope that she gave me is that she, from the laparascopy notes, doesn't think that my right fallopian is completely blocked, like I had thought. She said that there is an opening, but the reason the dye didn't come out is that there is a little bubble on the fallopian tube that the dye was collecting in. Once my current RE pressed on the bubble, the dye came out. So technically, she said, it isn't a typical blocked tube. Of course, that little bubble is probably causing problems with the egg getting where it needs to go to.

Also, I asked her about my low estrogen and told her that I was using herbal medicine that my acupuncturist gave me. She said that sometimes the herbal medicine, along with some fertility drugs, can cause estrogen levels to weaken. She suggested that I stop using the herbal medicine for a while and test again next cycle to see if the estrogen levels were still low. So I'm going to do that to see if it makes any difference. She also said that if I do end up doing an IUI or IVF that I should stop taking the herbal medicine anyway since they don't really know how the different drugs would interact with each other.

Well, I think that's about it. I'm trying to remember if there's anything else. If I think of anything, I'll be sure to post it.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Sounds like it was a great appointment. One of my tubes looked blocked on the HSG, I did a lap to possibly have it clipped but it turned out to be a paratubal cyst which I was told has no effect on fertility. From the lap pictures, it did look like a bubble. Did the RE mention paratubal cyst at all?
    Do you think you'll go forward with this doctor rather than your current one?

     
  • At 8:05 PM , Blogger TiggleBitties said...

    I'm so glad you went for the 2nd opinion. Sometimes it is so helpful to have a new face to talk to. I'm also happy that the "bubble" seems to be moveable. I'm sure I'm not expressing myself corectly there, but you know what I mean. LOL

    I just wanted to mention the Femara to you though. My RE told me it was no longer used in infertility treatments. I had used it once (and loved it) but apparently the makers of Femara no longer want it being used in IF. Just mention that to the docs and see. Like I said, I loved it (and got pg!) but it ended up being a tubal. Good Luck!

     
  • At 6:04 PM , Blogger Ladybug Ann said...

    That sounds like a good appointment! Good luck! :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home