Desperately Seeking Baby...Babies Found

My thoughts on raising twins and a singleton after infertility.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

My Eggs are Immature

I just received a call from my RE's office, and my estrogen levels were low - really low - at 64. I asked them what this meant and basically it means that my follicles/eggs are not becoming mature so the sperm has no chance with my eggs. She said that it would mean I would be a candidate for estrogen medication (which makes me nervous because my mom took estrogen therapy while going through menopause and she is now fighting Stage 3 breast cancer). I am getting a little nervous/anxious even though they said that this is nothing to worry about and they see it a lot. I know this is probably a ridiculous thought since they said they do see this a lot - but does this mean I should forget about having my own kids? Am I going into early menopause? I need to stop freaking out because everything is going to be o.k. right?

They said they need to see me again on Day 3 (though I was originally told Day 5) for a consult to see what to do next.

Have I mentioned that this whole infertility thing sucks? Why can't I just have normal levels of hormones; normal, mature eggs; and normal fallopian tubes? Why? And it is all the more frustrating when I was told back on Day 3 that everything looked normal when it wasn't. And I really want to know why this wasn't discovered sooner? Did I not have these problems 2 years ago when I first started to see this RE? Or did this just happen in the year I took off from any fertility treatments? I guess I'll find out sooner enough when I get a copy of my medical records.

Now, I just have to wait until March 14 to see the 2nd opinion RE and whenever Day 3 happens of my cycle to see my current RE to discuss all of this. Of course, I will probably be asking Dr. Google for information until those days happen.

6 Comments:

  • At 5:48 PM , Blogger Ladybug Ann said...

    Heather,
    Wait now, aren't your follicles not very big yet? If so, is it possible that you are going to ovulate, but a little later? Hang in there.

     
  • At 2:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ugh, how frustrating. I'm sorry you've got another roadblock. I can understand your hesitations about the estrogen given what your Mom is going through. Have you discussed these concerns with your RE. Maybe they would have some reassurance about the effects of the estrogen medication.
    I hope the 2nd opinion RE is able to shed some light on what's going on.

     
  • At 2:47 PM , Blogger seattlegal said...

    I don't know if I've told my RE about my mom having breast cancer, but since the whole estrogen thing came up, I plan to when I go see her again on CD3 and also with the 2nd opinion RE when I see her on the 14th. Of course, I don't know what her treatment is going to be, but I've got to assume estrogen medication will be involved. Hopefully, everything will be o.k. I guess I'll find out in 13 days!

     
  • At 2:48 PM , Blogger seattlegal said...

    Oh, and to answer ann - it is still possible I'll ovulate just a little later. At least, that's my understanding. I don't know what this means for any eggs that I'm ovulating though. So many questions!

     
  • At 6:28 PM , Blogger Ladybug Ann said...

    Heather, with a few follicles and not one obviously dominant follicle, it sounds consistant with the estrogen level. It is possible that you are going to ovulate a little later. BTW, I've heard of the other fallopian tube picking up the egg. The ovaries are quite close to each other, so a tube can pick up eggs from the opposite ovary.

     
  • At 7:23 PM , Blogger seattlegal said...

    Hmm, that would be good if my left ovary would pick up eggs from my right since my right fallopian tube is blocked. I guess I'll just wait to see when I ovulate and then see what the doctor thinks the best treatment would be.

    Thanks, Ann!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home