Desperately Seeking Baby...Babies Found

My thoughts on raising twins and a singleton after infertility.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

To Go or Not to Go?

So in my last post, I mentioned that I bought a baby shower gift for a baby shower I said I would go to on Sunday. I talked to my support group about it and they all seem to think that even though it is ultimately my decision on whether to go, I should really consider not going after my feelings over the past few weeks with having to try IVF and all the usual frustrations I have with going through infertility. I know how the last baby shower I went to was a little difficult when they talked about being pregnant and the symptoms and all that - what makes me think that this one will be any better for me?

But I want to be a good friend to this person. I am really just starting to get to know her and I want that to continue, but I just don't know if I can make it through the baby shower. I wasn't terribly excited about shopping for the gift either - I just made a quick trip to Target and got it over with. I don't want her to be upset with me for not coming, so I feel like I should go, but my group kept saying (and my husband agrees with all they've been saying btw) that I need to think of myself first and not think of what others are going to think of me.

These past 4 years have been a big struggle, but I don't want to let it control my life (even though it does). I'm sure most of you, if not all of you, reading this understands. I just don't know what to do.

3 Comments:

  • At 4:35 PM , Blogger DinosaurD said...

    I'm with your support group (and your husband). You can still give her the gift but just say that you can't go to the actual shower itself.
    Part of being a good friend is giving your friends space when they need it. If she snubs you just because you didn't make it to her shower, she's probably not a great friend to cultivate anyway.
    What is it with the shower thing anyway? Is this just an American passtime?
    Move to Canada - I've been to wedding showers but NEVER a babyshower.
    DinoD

     
  • At 5:41 PM , Blogger Ladybug Ann said...

    Don't go. What is important is to look after yourself. You can give the gift beforehand and tell her that you won't be there. If she's a real friend, she'll understand.

     
  • At 6:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I can't imagine ever letting someone's absence at a shower of any kind be a "make it or break it" thing for a friendship. Your friendship should not turn on this. And if it does, well...
    With that in mind, I hope you can give yourself the room to not go if that's what feels right.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home