Desperately Seeking Baby...Babies Found

My thoughts on raising twins and a singleton after infertility.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

birth control and PPD

Last Friday, I went to my OB for an IUD. At first, it was a bit painful - felt like period cramps but everything seems to be o.k. now. I'm still finding it funny and surprising that I even have to be on birth control considering how long it took to get pregnant in the first place but I don't need any more surprises. I absolutely adore my little guy - my Nicholas - and couldn't imagine my life without him, but, at this time, I don't think we will have any more children.

I also went to talk to her about post-partum depression. She gave me a list of psychologists I could go see, as well as a low dose of an anti-depressant. I need to figure out which psychologist to go see - whichever one is closer to me and well, one that insurance will cover (if they do). Most of the time, I feel alright. There are just some times that I just cry for absolutely no reason or when I feel overwhelmed with things I want to do before I go back to work or because work is coming ever closer or when life with 3 small children gets a little crazy or when I feel like things aren't going the way I would like them to or expected them to. I told this to my OB and she said that this is all normal - which I'm sure it is - but it felt weird for me to talk about it, so I'm not sure how it will go when seeing a psychologist. It was one thing to talk about with others who have gone through the same thing (as with my support group), but when it is just one on one? I don't know - I'll try it out and see how it goes.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • At 10:20 PM , Blogger Kerry Lynn said...

    What did the doc give you? I've been on lexapro for two years now. I've been weaning myself off of it but every time I get down to 5mg I totally feel bad again. I've been on 5 for a couple months now and I just don't handle things right and I have anxiety.
    I just don't understand how I can still have PPD this long after having babies.

    One thing to watch out for is weight gain. I'm not sure if you're prone to that or not but anti-depressants tend to make you gain weight. I had lost all of my twin pregnancy weight before going on the lexapro and within two months I had gained it ALL back plus a little more.

    Sorry you're feeling the crazies but it's so much better to get the help than suffer.

     
  • At 11:49 AM , Blogger seattlegal said...

    She gave me Zoloft - a really low dose of it. 25 mg, I think. I just filled the prescription today so I'll start taking it later. She warned me about the weight gain, so I'll have to try to keep an eye on that!

     
  • At 12:26 PM , Blogger Alex said...

    I hope you feel better soon.

     
  • At 4:53 PM , Anonymous Vasectomy Reversal said...

    Some time anti-depressants may lead to weight gain. You need to careful in this regard.

    Jane

     
  • At 9:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    i think you should not be worried about gaining a few pounds. i think that would be a minor side effect if taking zoloft made you feel better.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home