Desperately Seeking Baby...Babies Found

My thoughts on raising twins and a singleton after infertility.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Baby (& Other) News

I'm back to writing about baby stuff on this blog...it's nice to be able to access it again after so long and to be able to read other's blogs too. I haven't been commenting that much, but I try when I can.

Yesterday, the babies went to a 3rd doctor appointment because they wanted to check their weight again to make sure they're gaining weight like they are supposed to. Good news is that Ella is now past her birth weight! She's at 5 lbs 8 ounces! Benjamin isn't quite to his birth weight but he's at 6 lbs 5 ounces. He's gaining a little over an ounce a day so he'll be back to his birth weight soon.

They also had their second PKU testing done in which they poke the babies in the foot and fill 5 circles with their blood. Needless to say, the babies did not like that at all. Poor Benjamin has been poked in the foot too many times because right after birth, they had to keep testing his blood sugar.

I go to the doctor on Tuesday @ 11:20 to have my incision checked out. The steri-strips have started to come off - they said it would be about 10 days when they would come off and that's about when it started. Unfortunately, that's about when my pain started to make a bit of a comeback. Thank goodness for pain meds.

This morning, my husband took my brother to work and so I was on my own for a little while. It doesn't seem like that long, but, of course, that was when they babies were waking up for their next meal and diaper changes. I, thankfully, handled the situation rather well, I think. Both babies were changed, fed (at the same time as they laid on the boppy pillows), and burped. Poor Benjamin had the hiccups so he laid in their bed for a while trying to get back to sleep but those hiccups kept interrupting him. I hope that when I'm by myself for a longer period of time on Tuesday (when my husband will go back to work in the afternoon after my doctor appointment), things go well.

The following may be a bit TMI - so read at your own risk...

And finally, I just have to say that I really find the breast pump uncomfortable and there has got to be a better way to pump breastmilk than just sitting there holding the pumps. There are times that I will start to fall asleep and leaking will happen because I lost my grip. I'm going to continue to pump because it is good for my babies to give them breast milk, but that pump can hurt sometimes.

I'm also giving the babies breast milk by breastfeeding them, but Ella can be a bit picky as to the times she will breastfeed which is a big change from how she was in the hospital. When this first started to happen, I became frustrated and upset that my baby didn't want to breast feed a good portion of the time but I've gotten over it - for the most part, she is just getting her breast milk from a bottle - as long as she is getting some, right?

Benjamin has taken to it very well, but there are times that he doesn't want to breastfeed either.

We are also giving them formula as there is no way I could keep up with the twins by myself and that way, Jon can help feed them too.

Well, that's all for today. :-D

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • At 4:32 PM , Blogger Kerry Lynn said...

    Beautiful babies! Congratulations. It sounds like our pre-birth experiences were similar. my hospital stay started at 28 weeks in January.
    breastfeeding is very hard. I pumped as much as I could but it eventually went away. I like to tell people "they drank it all".
    when I was pumping I cut small slits in an old bra and but the horns of the pump through the slits. this way my hands were free. they make bras you can buy for this very purpose but i didn't see the point in spending $40 on one...good thing too since i only pumped for a month.
    Hang in there for the next couple months...they are pretty difficult. I'd say at 2 months my twins started sleeping much longer stretches and were actually content to be awake. They're just over 3 months now and are an absolute joy...smiling and cooing up a storm.
    Feel free to ask any questions!

     
  • At 1:13 PM , Blogger Carol said...

    I was in birth & beyond over the weekend (on madison, in seattle), and they sell this product: http://www.birthandbeyond.com/eaexbu.html

    It looks like it might solve your pumping problem. Let me know if you get one, and if so how it works.

     
  • At 5:04 PM , Blogger Nickie said...

    I was also going to suggest a hands-free pumping solution so you can read a magazine or something fun while pumping. Heck, you could even read blogs!! LOL

    Good for you for handling your first time alone with them. With just one baby, I was freaked out to be alone the first time.

    Sounds like the babies are doing great and that you are too - so glad to read that!!

     
  • At 2:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Have you considered using a supplemental nursing system with Ella to help improve her nursing stamina?
    An SNS can be really beneficial with tricky nursers and it really cuts down the risks of developing bottle/nipple confusion and preference. I know it's great that your husband can help out but using an SNS instead of bottle-feeding (at least for a few more weeks) could really help improve the overall longevity of your nursing relationship with your daughter.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home