Desperately Seeking Baby...Babies Found

My thoughts on raising twins and a singleton after infertility.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Baby Shower Weekend (26 Weeks 1 Day)

And now the post about my weekend that included my first baby shower – in all its ‘boring’ detail!!!

My husband and I drove over to Spokane on Friday. When we got there, we spent some time with my sister and her family before heading out to my parents’ house for dinner. My sister had some clothes to give to us for the babies, as well as some bedding. My mom also had some stuff too at her house. Our car was so completely full on the way back as it was on our way there (I gave my sister some of my old clothes that either didn’t fit me anymore or I just didn’t want anymore for whatever reason).

On Saturday, we had the baby shower at my parents’ house. My grandmothers and several aunts were there along with my sister and her two daughters and my ex-cousin-in-law, Kim. We started out with a couple games, and then we moved on to eating some grub. After that, we played another couple games including one that we won’t know the winner of until the babies come as it was a guessing game as to when the their birthday will be. I had a good time playing the games even though I am not very good at them at all (games included finding names for the babies out of mine and my husband’s names (including last name); naming two animals that started with each letter; and the game where if you said the word “baby” and someone caught you, you had to give up a sticker to that person and whoever had the most at the end of the party won – I believe the winners were my sister, Kim, and my 11-year-old niece in that order of the games mentioned).

After the game playing, we had some present opening time …my youngest niece (she’s 4, almost 5) was my present opening helper while my other niece (11) was my picture taker. I got quite a few cute clothes for the babies and some nice homemade blankets. My sister also stitched some patterns onto some burp towels that were quite cute. I got a few other items as well – including photo frames and a diaper organizer to attach to the side of the crib or changing table (though at this moment, we aren’t getting a changing table). Kim also gave me a couple clothing items for myself. I think that was about it.

It was funny that during the party, my youngest niece kept telling me that I had two babies inside of me –she is so cute! At one point, during the present opening, she asked me how the babies got inside there. Umm…well, I told her the truthful answer that in my case, the doctors put them in there. She didn’t ask any more questions so I guess that was a good enough answer for her.

After the present opening, we had some yummy cake and just sat around and chatted until everyone decided it was time to go. I think everyone had a good time. It was funny that one of my aunts told me that I didn’t look that big and yet, everyone at work thinks I look big.

On Sunday, we went out to lunch to celebrate my brother’s 21st birthday before my husband and I drove back to Seattle. My brother said he was going to go out that night and have a huge celebration (bigger than what he did the night before or rather that morning). It took us way too long to get home – I was so exhausted by the time we got back, but I was really happy to see my kitties and they seemed to be happy to see us. The next morning, both kitties were following me everywhere around the house. I don’t think they were too happy when I left to go enjoy my day off away from the house.

The first thing I did yesterday morning after leaving my house was to go look at the day care just a couple minutes away. I got a really good impression from this place, so it is a possibility. We will need to look at several others before making a decision, but she did say that she will have room in November and our twins will be the only two infants she will have at that time. My husband still needs to look at this place too before the decision is made.

After that, I went to go have lunch with a friend and do some shopping for the baby shower I’m going to this Saturday for another twin momma (she’s having twin girls). Looking forward to yet another shower for another support group buddy!

When I got back home, I rested for a bit, but then I went to work on the babies’ room which is one reason I think I had quite a painful contraction this morning. Luckily, it was just one even though it lasted for quite a while. The on-call doctor wasn’t too concerned. They said to call back if there were more than 4 in an hour or if the contraction intensified. So far, so good. Tonight, Jon and I are going to our first of a six week long childbirth prep class. I’m looking forward to it.

Oh, and the entire weekend, it seemed the babies were trying to stretch or push their way out of my tummy. At several times, my tummy looked lopsided. I’m sure it was an odd sight to see one side of my belly bigger than the other!

Well, that’s all for today. I’ll upload the baby shower pictures soon, I hope!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 5:30 PM , Blogger ak1908 said...

    Sounds like you had a great time!!! My little sister is expecting my first bloodline niece next month and she came up during her Spring Break last week (she's one month away from being a registered nurse). There were several times when her belly was lopsided. I was so intrigued. I am so excited for her arrival!!! I'm glad that you enjoyed your time with family and friends and how cute was the story about how the babies "got in there." :) LOL!!!

     
  • At 9:10 AM , Blogger E-sidedave said...

    Completely OT, but you might find this useful in the future: http://www.tinylove.com/multiple_births_program.aspx

    -- Another Heather

     
  • At 9:11 AM , Blogger Nickie said...

    Wow, that was soo boring - LOVED IT!! LOL

    Great to hear you got a good feel from the DC too.

    Sounds like you got a nice haul of stuff. I recommend sorting thru it as it comes in when you can otherwise you have sooo much to deal with at the end when you're really not feeling up to it.

    My belly is pretty lopsided these days too, my belly button is often at least 1cm off to my left b/c he's mostly laying on the right side of my uterus.

    That was a good description on how the babies got in there too. Just enough info to satisfy her curiosity w/o offering more than she's ready for. Perfect.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home