Desperately Seeking Baby...Babies Found

My thoughts on raising twins and a singleton after infertility.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

TV Shows & Infertility

I almost forgot. Last night, as my husband and I were relaxing at home, we decided to watch last week's Scrubs episodes (I love my DVR). I know it's just a tv show, so I really shouldn't be bugged by this - especially since I always tell others - it's just a tv show or it's just a movie. I know I'm being a bit of a hypocrit when I say I was bugged by a tv show's depiction of something.

On the show, Carla is trying to get pregnant. She's 36 and she's been trying for a whole 2 months and she's starting to get worried. 2 months? Seriously? So she's bugged by it and she goes to the doctor to get checked up on and the doctor will run a fertility test because after all she's been trying for 2 months already and she's not pregnant. So the doctor calls her back - on the same day she had the tests done and what was day 1 of her cycle to tell her everything is fine. Like Fertility Now said, I want to know about this magical test. I would love to not have to do blood test after blood test and ultrasound after ultrasound and to not have to have gone through that HSG or the Lap. And since when will a doctor even test after 2 months? My OB/GYN wanted me to start charting my temps for a couple months before she would even do anything else. Then she had me do an HSG. Then when we found my right tube was blocked, she referred me to an RE for several more tests and a lap..

So for all those people, I say "it's just a tv show" or "it's just a movie" - I'm sorry. I understand your pain.

4 Comments:

  • At 5:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I hate it when they get things wrong on tv or in the movies. It just further adds to all the stupid things people think about IF. I'm glad I didn't catch the show.

     
  • At 6:30 PM , Blogger x said...

    you never know - if Hollywood can adopt in 3 days, maybe they can do a months worth of infertilty treatments in a matter of minutes. So stupid - no wonder everybody thinks it's no big deal.

     
  • At 12:33 PM , Blogger Fertility Faux Pas said...

    You mean my husband and I spent the last 40 months and $30,000 trying to get pregnant when all we had to do was some random "fertility test"? Wow, we sure are dumb.

    So insulting and ridiculous. Glad I missed that episode too.

     
  • At 7:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I have watched this show too and am also experiencing infertility. I was very annoyed by this. I've also ran all the test like the blood work, lap surgery, hsg, you name it and it took me 6 months to figure out what was going on (on top of the year of trying before that) but I'm guessing who ever wrote part of the show didn't have that much experience with IF.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home