Desperately Seeking Baby...Babies Found

My thoughts on raising twins and a singleton after infertility.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, January 11, 2008

Tyra & Birth Website

I was reading a blog earlier and the writer mentioned a show that Tyra Banks taped yesterday (and will air in February (or so I hear)) – here is the info on the show…


DO YOU KNOW A WOMAN OBSESSED WITH BECOMING PREGNANT?
Do you know a woman who is obsessed with becoming a mom? Have you seen and heard her struggle for years, felt her unvoiced jealously and seen her desperation first hand? Have you watched silently for too long as she gets her hopes up only to be disappointed and heartbroken when she can't conceive? Has she tried extreme methods and spent a lot of money to get pregnant with no luck? Do you want to finally tell her she needs to stop the emotional and physical stress on her body and seriously consider adoption or a surrogate alternative?

WTH? Several blogs have already talked about this and I’m sure those of you who read this blog know exactly what is so offensive about the questions above, so I won’t go into this as much as I could have. Adoption and surrogacy are easy and inexpensive, didn’t you know? And they don’t have any emotional roller coasters that people go on unlike the “obsession” to get pregnant? Gah! There is so much more I could say. I already don’t like Tyra, but this definitely made my opinion of her worse. I’m sure she didn’t write the above, but she must have some say – isn’t she an executive producer of the show (I’m guessing as I really have no idea, but I think most hosts are of their shows). I would hope a true friend or a caring relative would not bring their friend/relative onto a nationally televised show to tell them their feelings aren’t worthy of being felt and he/she should just stop feeling that way. How incredibly insensitive. O.K. I wrote more than I was going to… I

On another topic, a while back I was driving home and in front of me was this car with the bumper sticker with trustbirth.com on it. I was just going through some stuff in my bag and came across an envelope I wrote the website on so I could remember to look at it. There was another bumper sticker with the woman’s website too – she’s apparently a doula so having the trustbirth bumper sticker makes sense.

Anyway, I’m curious what others think of what this organization says. They seem to want births to happen at home, not in the hospital because in the hospital, the woman isn’t in charge anymore. Plus, it isn’t a medical issue – it’s a natural event. They also seem to advocate for a natural birth – which is fine (I certainly wouldn’t want to do it without drugs – plus drugs kept my babies from coming way too early as did my doctor, so I’m glad she was in charge and not me). Anyway, let me know what you think.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 11:01 PM , Blogger bitterkat said...

    I would have loved to have had Zoe at home. I had a midwife in the hospital and she was great but after the birth (no drugs, no problems), when I felt wonderful and just wanted to snuggle with my baby and toddler in my bed, they wouldn't let me leave until the next day; which I found very silly and irritating. This was in complete contrast to when I had Sid. With Sid I needed to be in the hospital having someone help me walk, monitor me, etc.

    So ultimately, it's all about the expectations of the mother to be and the potential risks with her pregnancy. There's no right or wrong way. Both are okay, but mostly I think many births would be okay at home.

    --jennifer

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home