Desperately Seeking Baby...Babies Found

My thoughts on raising twins and a singleton after infertility.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

More Kidney Issues For My Family

So I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before or not but my mom was going to see a
nephrologist because one of her kidneys is not working at all, and the
other has some kind of blockage in it (possibly another kidney stone
or 3). She wasn't going to see the doctor until early February as that
was the earliest they could get her in. My mom is convinced it is
because of the radiation or chemo for her breast cancer.

Well, my dad was taken to the hospital this morning as he wasn't able
to move all that well and had swelling in his legs (though for some
reason he still was able to go into work - not sure how he drove
himself there - he works over in Couer D'Alene, ID). The doctors have
said he is in acute renal failure and will be admitted into the
hospital. UGH!

The kidney issues in my family keep coming! I hope everything is o.k. and they are able to figure out what is causing the failure and treat it. What shocks me is that with my family's history of kidney issues (even my dad has had kidney stones) the doctors didn't think to look into that when he went into his regular doctor. When I first went in for pain and throwing up when I was 19, the doctors for a long time didn't consider kidney stones so I lived it with the pain for a long time. This is the same office that my dad just went to this past week.

Sometimes it is very hard to live 5 hours away from family (and of course, with the weather being so bad, there is no way I would attempt to drive over the pass to get to Spokane - I didn't even want to drive to Issaquah to go into work).

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At 3:16 PM , Blogger BigP's Heather said...

    Hope they are ok! That is so scary.

     
  • At 4:46 PM , Blogger Ali said...

    Aack. That's a lot to handle. Here's to their good health and speedy recovery.

     
  • At 5:52 PM , Blogger Jaimie said...

    I can't believe they won't get your mom in sooner. That sounds a little unreasonable with minimal function at best. Kidney stones can run in families. It can be from having the same diet (or same source of water). It can also be that their bodies all handle certain chemicals the same way. It can also be a crappy coincidence. I hope your dad is okay.

     
  • At 2:22 AM , Blogger Jules said...

    My DH has found out in the last 2 yrs, that he has kidney problems. It all happened from an ongoing headache.

    He went to our GP, who did some tests, then more tests & this is what came of it. It was discovered that as a baby, he had a urine reflux, which scared one of his kidneys. His scared, smaller kidney is working at a higher percentage to his adult sized one. The bigger one is leaking protein & nothing can be done to fix it. He just has to take tablets to keep his BP down.

    My prayers & thoughts are with your mom.

     
  • At 9:27 AM , Blogger Nickie said...

    oh man! I hope your dad is ok and that mom's issues get sorted out soon. Be sure your dr is aware of all this kidney stuff, pg is hard on a body.

    And would this weather PLEASE get better????

     
  • At 5:25 AM , Blogger TeamWinks said...

    My father has kidney issues, as does my aunt. I know how this feels. It's all quite scary. My dad had a stem cell transplant, and chemo (he has primary amyloidosis,) which is lodged in his kidney. My aunt just had a kidney transplant, and it having some trouble. Hopfeully it resolves it self, they say it should. My husband just had a kidney stone a few months ago. The Kidney Club. What a grand place to be!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home