Desperately Seeking Baby...Babies Found

My thoughts on raising twins and a singleton after infertility.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, May 18, 2006

CD3 Dr. Appt.

I went to the doctor's office this morning, and saw someone that is not my doctor since my doctor was called to surgery. I asked the not-my-doctor woman about Letrazole (a drug that the 2nd opinion doctor mentioned), and she said that they don't use that drug because there is some concern that the drug causes birth defects. Well, that makes me nervous, so I guess that's out.

She said that for this cycle to try Clomid again at 50 mg - since I have a good response to it at that level, she didn't feel like I should be moved up to 100 mg. She said that maybe next cycle, we could try a Mayo protocol, which I'm still not clear on all of what is involved with it, but she said it involves upping the dose of Clomid to 100 mg, then using some other drug that they use for IVF that would go directly to the ovaries(?), which can cause an even more increased chances of multiples? I don't know, I left a little confused and am just going to wait until I see my doctor to ask more about it - especially since she said she would have to check with my doctor before going ahead with that protocol. So if we do that protocol, it would be the next cycle.

I also had concerns about my progesterone, she said to bring in my chart when I come in on CD13 (I meant to bring it with me today) to see if there could be some luteal phase defect and if it looks like it could be possible, they would test my progesterone levels.

Anyway, that was my doctor appointment today. So it looks like on Saturday, I will start Clomid again. I'm so looking forward to those hot flashes so much ;-D - especially when it has been so warm in Seattle lately.

Thanks everyone for your comments and support. It is very much appreciated.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:57 PM , Blogger GLouise said...

    Hmm- I have not heard of any problems with letrozole, at least not from my drs. It is also called "femara," and supposedly has less side effects than Clomid.
    Often people who don't respond well to clomid are given the letrozole.
    It is also used as a drug to treat women with breast cancer, but really I had not heard about birth defect risks. You may want to ask your dr. to clarify that statement a bit.

    Also- Clomid at 50 mg seems pretty conservative...Maybe my docs are more aggressive than I originally though ;-)

    Good luck!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home